musings and mumblings

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Album Review: Katharine McPhee


Katharine McPhee made sure she had a say in her eponymous debut, and with the tracks in the album-an eclectic mix of Pop, R&B, and a even, a little swig of soul; it’s enough to say that she has indeed, delivered. With trademark, formulaic dance anthems such as Open Toes and Dangerous, vocally induced ballads such as Ordinary World, Better Off Alone and Home, Katharine McPhee proves a sure fire hit with fans and music lovers alike. Here’s my track by track review of the whole album, arranged from my most favorite to the least.


1. Ordinary World – Here is where Katharine’s voice shines the best. Her voice best works with simple instruments and letting it all do the work. Whoever said she doesn’t bring emotion to the song; OW is heartfelt and sincere. Though it may sound like it’s lifted off a soap opera, Kat lets us know that she has an impeccable vocal style, quite unmistakably her own.

2. Open Toes – When I first heard the Promosquad sample of this track, I had to admit I was a bit disappointed. I immediately dismissed the song like a Paris Hilton headline. But boy was I so wrong! OT is catchy, danceable and most importantly, right on the money. At times Katharine’s voice sounds like it was edited to sound like a robot, but I suppose it was intended to capture the spirit of the track itself; funky, playful and free. My jaw dropped to the floor especially after hearing the end hook. My girl can jam!

3. Neglected – Like Greg from KMF said, the lyrics of this particular track is a great example of pop lyric writing. It doesn’t hurt that Katharine can hit both the high and low registers of the track without sounding throaty or breathy. The melody, especially during the first and last part is haunting, too perfect to whomever the song is written for.

4. Better off Alone – What I like about this song is that it works, regardless whether it’s a male or a female singing it. However, much as I love Austin’s spin on the song, Katharine’s voice just makes it right. This is one track reminiscent of her top 24 night debut performance of Since I Fell For You, jazzy and easy on the ears.

5. Over It – The fans may be realizing just now that this might be a weak track to be the lead single, but the slow, rhythmic beat, the lyrics and Kat’s vocal stylings make this a perfect track to showcase the rest of the album. Like OT, it has mass appeal and it sticks to your head like your mom’s nagging voice.

6. Home – Another powerhouse vocal performance that will give you goosebumps and a reminder that Katharine can belt it out with the best of them. “Beautiful” it is not, but pit Katharine and Christina any day, and she can give the pop diva a run for her money with this one.

7. Everywhere I Go – Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds still has got game, as evidenced by the sound and whole feel of the track, but to me it sounds really formulaic and common. I can’t pinpoint any specific reason, but it reminds me of “Everytime I Close My Eyes”.

8. Dangerous – I can’t quite make out Kat’s voice in here. Too many layers, too synthesized, too much of everything. But it can be another great female anthem, just like Open Toes.

9. Love Story – Nice throwback with the “whoo-hoo-hoo-hoo”, but for me, the track sounds so scattered. Seems to me that the only quite audible words are “love” and “story”. Another victim of “too much of everything”.

10. Not Ur Girl – In this track, we see an assertive, no-nonsense Katharine. The vocals are okay. Not the most impressive, but the track may just work when circulated on radio stations.

11. Each Other – The track sort of sounds like Over It, the beat, the intro, seems like the melody was patterned to it. I can’t imagine it being played on radio.

12. Do What You Do – Katharine is sexy and hot, no question, but if she was intending to translate her hotness into this particular track, she only did it about 50 to 60% successfully. It again succumbed to “too much of everything”.

I rated these tracks according to how it sounds as a whole, the melody and the lyrics. There is no doubt from Katharine’s voice, as Simon Cowell described it, it’s “a very special talent”. And she has been very lucky to have worked with some of the hottest and best in the biz, resulting in an impressive debut, unarguably one of the best albums to come out of “Idol” alumni in years. I can even daresay that this is better than Kelly Clarkson’s “Breakaway”. This is one album that is going to be in my CD player for quite some time.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home